Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Walk about

It was a day of all walking, all day. From city center and Hyde Park I walked to my tour of the Sydney Opera House. Now mostdays you get the standard tour of this architectural masterpiece. But my tour group lucked out; the Sydney symphony orchestra was in rehearsal for their Show Tunes concert. As we walked in the theater, trumpeter James Morrison was featured as the FULL orchestra played the 007 Bond James Bond favorite Goldfinger.

Anyone who knows me know I'm a James Bond die hard. This music in this space with this trumpet virtuoso was nothing short of spectacular. I had do do the James Bond pose with the finger gun. Tour guide: not impressed. Really a fantastic story of how this opera house was built.

So I walked up 48 steps to a nearby park, put on some sun screen(yes the sun was out and it is HOT here) and just sat on a grassy knoll and watched the boats go through the harbour for an hour. Grabbed a quick lunch at circular quay, then
wandered through The Rocks, nurses walk ( where convicts walked from their prison to the local hospital), then on to Darling Harbor and back through downtown to city center. It's amazing how quickly you can move from one neighborhood to the next so quickly and seamlessly. People seem noticably healthier than
many places I've seen. I suspect all the walking keeps Sydney siders as they're called at healthier weights. Good on ya.

It's an expensive city. I don't think I've paid less that 3.50 for any beverage I've purchased since I arrived.

So back at the hotel and a dip in the pool on the top floor (22). What a view!

On to and afternoon glass of Xanadu shiraz and people watching. My last day in Sydney is tomorrow and still have plenty to do. I'm playing Australian rules football.

2 comments:

  1. What a great day!! I'm SO excited to hear about the James Bond theme, how I would have loved to hear that! Isn't God's timing just wonderful?? You were meant to be there. Right now you are enjoying your last day in Sydney, we are getting haircuts and going to choir. Peace and mucho love, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dad!!! thats soooooooooooooo cool!!!!!!! did you walk around the opera house like a secrit agent? we are leaving for the winndy sitty today and we we will be on the plain at the same time(not the same plainj and we are only on for 2 hours........).

    ReplyDelete