Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sights and sounds of Sydney

Today was a full day of guided touring of Sydney. Starting with a 3 hour bus ride all over this city of over 4 million. Over 90 percent of the Aussie population lives within 100 km of a beach, which says a lot about who lives in the vast expanse of the Outback. We toured Darling harbor and the Rocks, one of the oldest parts of the city, where the first setlers from England set up shop. Trouble was that most of that part of land is set on sandstone which -- when it decomposes--- created the most infertile of soils... Bad news for settlers. We moved on to circle cay and Sydney's most famous beach... Bondi ( aborigines for "where water makes a sound"). I stuck my feet in the cool Ocean water and blinded the other tourists as I took my shirt off and the sunlight reflected off my back. "Don't worry folks; it'll all be over soon. Nothin' happenning here."

After Bondi (pronounced Bon- die), we went back to Darling Harbor and I dashed aboard captain crook's harbor tour cruise. Big boat with an all- you- can- eat buffet. I limited myself to four half chickens and some fruit compote that I couldn't quite recognize. It was me and 3,500 Japanese tourists, but my height was a definitie advantage in seeking the dessert bar first.

I also saw Mrs Macquarie's chair, a stone chair carved by convicts for one of the founding governor's wife. It was set outside on an end point of a jetty. She loved looking from this chair across the water... Longing for letter from home. I have the Internet.

I have tons of pictures and videos but can't find a way to post them yet. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. HA! Love the vision of you and 3500 vertically-challenged Aisans in a dead run for the dessert table. No doubt you elbowed a few fragile grandmas in there. Hank says hi. xoxo, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dad,
    gotta love the free food, eh( oh look, now i'm going canadian on you)? So do tell, as i'm sure mom would like to know: What esactly did you get at the DESSERT bar? Don't worry, your secret is safe with me (but seriously, let me know if they had pastries, because if so, i could seriously consider making Austrailia my number 2 destination next to France, of course)
    Enjoy the googs!
    Love,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete